-
October 31st, 2001, 10:32 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey there.
I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for speeding up your editing system that little bit more. I shut all other programs down. But I have never done anything with the ram or the hard drive settings. (is it needed?) Any other tips you have for giving your system that little bit more UMPH! Would be very helpfull.
Im not giving spacifics about my system because Im just asking for general tips.
Despin out.
------------------
"Ive got bad feeling about this."
-
October 31st, 2001, 11:40 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
check out
www.desktopvideoworld.com
or
www.dc1000.org
or one of the plethora of other websites that could be found by typing "optimise windows" into google ...
------------------
N305UDB M173UBM
(B55VOR)
(WGO963W)
-
October 31st, 2001, 12:20 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey there.
Sorry mate but I couldnt find anything to help on those links. Maybe its just my lack on brain cells. Anychance of a direct link.
Despin out.
------------------
"Ive got bad feeling about this."
-
October 31st, 2001, 03:30 PM
#4
Ralph Snart
Guest
It takes a while, but I have found that I have to Defragment my hard drive at least two or three times a day.
If you are running Windows ME for instance it automatically gives processor priority to the commonly used programs (If I remember correctly).
Producing takes time no matter what.
Do Yoga.
You can also increase your "System Percentages" through a number of machinations.
Contact the factory! I do not want to be responsable for someone crashing their system so I will not go into details.
But to see what you are running at, in Windows ME;
Start button > Settings > Control Panel > System > PERFORMANCE TAB.
You should be running at around 85%.
I can get mine up to 95% if I am not going to go online.
If you are in the 70% area or lower you should contact the factory or read up on the subject because you are running way slow!
See there are always certain programs running in the background that you may not use.
As I said be careful with this because you can really screw things up if you start turning off the wrong programs.
Ralph
------------------
-
October 31st, 2001, 05:41 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey there.
You Defragment your hard drive 2 or 3 times a day. Well fuck that. How big is your drive 2gb. Do you have any time to actualy do any work.
Thanks for the reply but I think Ill skip that idea. I ll have to make do.
Despin outn
------------------
"Ive got bad feeling about this."
-
November 5th, 2001, 06:42 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Hi,
Most if not all video editing systems require
a second hard disk for your captured video/sound clips, with the Operating System (OS) and application software on a seprtate disk.
A good video editing site can be found at
www.computervideo.net
Jim Bird
------------------
-
November 5th, 2001, 06:48 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Hi,
The other big issues are,
Fast processor and lots of memory.
I known this all costs money, but you can
pick up good fast secondhand kit (PCs)these days.
Jim Bird.
------------------
-
November 5th, 2001, 10:16 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey there.
My system has a 1.4gh pentium processer,. 256MB of ram. I have one 40 gig drive so maybe I should get a second.
I have been using the computervideo forum for a while now. Its a great place.
Despin out.
------------------
"Ive got bad feeling about this."
-
November 6th, 2001, 09:29 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Hi,
Make sure there is no other software running in the background when editing. And I think two drives are a must.
At the very least get a program called partition magic, it will allow you to split your 40 gig hard drive in two logical drives, giving a 10 gig system drive which will also contain the video editing program and your other software, thus leaving a 30 gig space for your video footage.
Jim Bird.
[This message has been edited by Jim Bird (edited November 06, 2001).]
-
November 6th, 2001, 09:44 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Hey there.
Thanks for the info. It all sounds good. Any idea where I can get partition magic.
Despin out.
------------------
"Ive got bad feeling about this."
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks